Back to a less-risque topic, I still remember when I (i.e. my mom) made this AMAZING aquarium out of a sprite bottle, some pipe-cleaners, and cardboard fish, as instructed by Highlights craft page. It sat on my desk, and served as an excellent distraction to homework. Soooo, when Dell Harper came running up begging to make "this cake with strawberries, MOM!!!!! We can mix it!!!!!!" my resistance was futile. Especially as we had the ingredients on hand.
To my surprise it was good! Miss Priss thoroughly enjoyed it, and made Pop-pop eat it as well. With some trepidation, we were all relieved to find it quite tasty.
I modified the amount of spice and vanilla, and used almonds instead of walnuts.
Strawberry-Almond Quick Bread:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, diced into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer until batter is pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spice to the bowl. Stir.
- Fold in the nuts and strawberries.
- Pour into a greased 8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Dell Harper had a great time making and eating her creation. Surprisingly, my stress level and kitchen-cleanliness level remained at acceptable levels. Enjoy!